Wootton Stores opened its door in November 2007, to serve the community as well as our friends, families and visitors that come through the village.
The main aim of the group behind the set up of the Stores was to establish a village shop for the benefit of the community. Ten years on and our aim is to continue to provide the village with a shop that is useful and enticing!
Our key objectives remain true to those that were initially stated:
- to set up, and now maintain, a community owned business to provide a local retail facility for the community of Wootton village.
- to develop a sustainable self-financing business
- to provide a village meeting place and social hub
- to provide other social and economic benefits for the community as resources allow
- give self-reliance to those members of the village who are unable to travel further afield.
Wootton Stores is staffed by over 40 volunteers who support our part-time shop manager. Volunteers range in age, experience and profession, and sign up for a shift or two whenever they can, whether that is working behind the counter, ordering stock or keeping the Stores clean and tidy.
A management committee, elected at an AGM, also helps with the smooth running of the shop. See the Committee page for more information.
As far as possible we try to source our products locally, from local growers, producers and suppliers.
Within a 15-mile radius we source meat, dairy, flour, honey and beer! Within a 30-mile radius we are also able to source our bread and fruit juices from local producers, whilst using a local supplier for many of our dried wholefood products.
During the summer and autumn seasons we are also supplied with wonderful local fruit and vegetables that are donated by our allotment holders and many green-fingered villagers.